Like most developed nations, Australia has a rigid visa system that allows people to visit for a range of purposes ranging from tourism to visiting family or seeking employment. If you are unsure as to which visa you should apply for when looking to obtain permission to visit Australia, here is a brief description of the more common visas.

Visitor Visas

There are several types of visit visas for entering Australia:

  • First, second & third work & holiday visa – This allows people from 18-30 years old visit Australia for a period of 12 months and they are allowed to work to fund their stay. To qualify for this visa, you must be the holder of a passport from an eligible country, and after the first 12-month period, you can apply for a second 12-month term, providing you meet the criteria, and then if you wish to extend your stay in Australia to a further 12 months, you can apply for a third work & holiday visa.
  • Tourist stream visa – This visa allows you to visit Australia as a tourist, while on a cruise, or to visit family or friends. You might be granted a 3, 6, or 12-month visa, depending on your requirements and the state department’s decision. If you would like some assistance applying for a visa to visit Australia, contact the experts at, who can help you to decide which visa is suitable.
  • Sponsored family stream visa – This type of visa is for those who have family members who are Australian citizens or permanent residents, and the duration is up to 12 months. Your family member(s) might be asked to pay a security bond.
  • Business stream visa – This visa allows you to visit Australia for business reasons and is valid for a period of 3 months. You must be outside Australia when you apply and, subject to approval, you can enter and leave the country multiple times on the same visa. The holder of this visa is not allowed to sell products or services.
  • Temporary skill shortage visa – There are short term (ST) steam, medium-term (MT) stream, and labour agreement (LA) stream options. This visa is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you as a skilled worker and your occupation is listed in the short-term skilled occupation list.

Prospective Marriage Visa

If you are planning to marry an Australian citizen, this visa allows you to come to Australia and marry, as long as this takes place during the 9-month validity period of the visa. Once you have married, you can then apply for the Onshore Partner visa, which allows you to remain in Australia.

Australian Parent Visa

If you are an Australian citizen and are looking to have your parents stay with you, there are several types of Parent Visa, which are as follows:

  • Contributory Parent Visa – Either temporary or permanent.
  • Non-Contributory Parent Visa – This visa might take a long time to process.
  • Aged Parent Visa – This can be applied for when a parent reaches a certain age.

It is always advisable to seek professional help when applying for any visa to visit Australia, as the experts can make sure that your application is likely to be granted.

By Manager