During the winter months, it is essential that truck drivers have the driving skills they need to stay safe on snow and ice-covered roads. Between the hazardous road conditions and low visibility, driving can be very difficult. But, if you adequately prepare for the snowy weather, you can stay safe in these conditions. Here are 3 great tips for truck drivers who have to face the roads this winter.
#1. Prepare Emergency Supplies
Breaking down in the middle of a snowstorm or extremely cold conditions can be dangerous. It’s critical to be prepared for these situations by having these emergency supplies on hand:
- Food and water
- Thick blankets
- Extra fuel
- First-aid kit
- Winter clothing and footwear
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Road flares or flag
#2. Vehicle Maintenance
Before the snow hits, one of the most important things to do is make sure that your vehicle is adequately prepared by doing the following:
- Ensure your truck’s anti-freeze system can handle frigid temperatures and that all heater and water hoses are free of cracks, hardening or softening, or loose clamps.
- Check the battery to ensure it’s not expired and is fully charged.
- Make sure all tires are completely full and consider using valve caps for extra security.
- Consider purchasing tire chains to ensure you don’t lose traction in icy conditions.
#3. Practice Driving in a Simulator
A great way to improve your winter driving skills is with a snow driving simulator. These simulators create incredibly realistic environments, that can prepare truck drivers or snowplow operators for the real thing.
Drivers can practice driving on freeways, rural roads, suburban roads, or highways with little to heavy traffic or through tunnels and bridges in various conditions. From nighttime heavy snow to icy roads during the day, drivers can practice driving semi-trucks or snowplows in these environments.
Prepare for Winter with L3 Driver
Whether you’re a snowplow operator or a long-distance truck driver, L3 Driver ensures that you are prepared for all winter conditions with our robust snow driving simulators and training programs. With our Mobile Training Center, you can get the training you need regardless of where you’re located.
Contact our expert team today to learn how our simulators and training can help you prepare for winter.